CHURCH STREET HERITAGE PLAZA
Church Street Heritage Project: We Were Here
Church Street was a thriving center for African-American commerce in Anderson, South Carolina from (circa) 1907 until 1980, when most of the buildings were torn down to make way for a parking lot. The citizens on Church Street were educated, professional business owners who served as role models. At its mid-century zenith, there were shoppers here by day and revelers by night. Artists and musicians lined the street engulfed by the thick aroma of barbecue, fried fish and festive libations.
The City of Anderson and its partner the Anderson Arts Center were awarded grant funding from the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the Duke Energy Foundation for the design and implementation of a public art project beginning in 2016 to commemorate the Church Street era. The project was completed in 2017 and includes clay reliefs, marble sculpture and animation.